Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Socially Moderate Independent

English only - すみません.

One thing I have not liked about the American political system is that there are just 2 major parties - Republicans and Democrats. I never considered myself to be in either of these parties. There are ideas from each party that I agree with, and parts that I don't. Because of this, I am registered to vote as 'non-partisan' (I have not chosen a political party).

I reads an article in Business Week recently (Independents Are Having Buyer's Remorse, July 18, 2005) that finally categorized me - I am a Socially Moderate Independent. They said:
"Now socially moderate independents -- who strongly favor expanded stem cell research and oppose overturning Roe v. Wade -- fear that the majority party is in thrall to the Religious Right. 'These people lean more Republican because of fiscal issues, but they're much more liberal on social issues,' says independent pollster Dick Bennett of American Research Group."

This describes me well. It was kind of exciting to read that someone understands me, and that I am part of a larger group of similar people. Now if only the government would enact some policies that match what I agree with...

1 Comments:

At 9:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen, Brother! Time for you (and your socially moderate ilk) to get into public service!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home