Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Currents in San Francisco Bay

For those that don't believe that the San Francisco Bay can get strong currents, check out this little video clip I took on a paddle last week:
先週カヤックに乗ったビデオだ。サンフランシスコ湾の潮流だ。


Based on the chart, it is about 30 feet deep at this spot. That is a lot of moving water!
チャートによると深さは10メートルぐらいだそうだ。 流れの水は多いだろう。

Under the Golden Gate Bridge and a few other places (like Yellow Bluff) are know for strong currents. Not this location.
ゴールデンゲートブリッジの下の潮流は有名だ、でもその所は有名じゃないだろう。

This is where I was at/私はここにいた:

View Larger Map

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 9:09 PM, Blogger Cate Hawthorne said...

Looks like fun. What do you predict the speed of the current was?

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger California Kayaker Magazine said...

In guessing what it should be, I used TideTools, a program downloadable for the Palm Pilot. This program bases its data on another program called Xtide. They don't have a prediction for this spot exactly, so it would be a bit of guesstimating.

In seeing what it actually was, I paddled back upstream after taking the video and then drifted back down and checked the speed on my GPS. Speed was wavering between 3 and 3.5 mph.

 
At 9:17 PM, Blogger Nobue Masuda said...

The map reminded me of those days. I took train ride to get to Fisherman's Wharf and I'm sure I passed by the place you showed on the map.
On the other hand, the view from kayaking is very impressive!
I wish I will be able to visit there again some day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home